DWC Owners Forum

Author Topic: first job  (Read 2661 times)

Tom S

• View Profile
first job
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:48:16 AM »
just finished this coat rack.

Burl

• Administrator
  • Woodworking - patience = firewood
    • View Profile
Re: first job
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:07 AM »
Tom
Very nice. Would you mind e-mailing the picture to me and can I add it to my web gallery of customers pictures?
Thanks for sharing.

Burl

woodward

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 05:36:57 PM »
that is so very pretty i am just learning so Im not sure how you made it look
like that

Tom S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 06:30:41 PM »
ITS JUST RED OAK WHICH IS NOT THE BEST TO USE FOR THIS APP. LOTS OF SANDING AND A COAT OF GOLDEN OAK STAIN WITH A CLOTH (RAG) THAT WON'T LEAVE PARTICALES. 5 COATS OF GLOSS POLY. AND 0000 STEEL WOOL. PLUS A LOT OF SWEAT. LOL 

Scott G

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
How long of cnc machine time did it take to carve the rack?

Tom S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
it took 3 hrs. roughed out with a 1/4 ball and 1/8 ball for the finish. roughing was set at 35 ipm. and 25 for the finish. it is 36 in. long total and the profile is 34. made 4 of these and i just finished a couple smaller profiles of a ranch scene and a stage coach. i'll have to put those pics up. they are not finished cause the guy is going to inlay them and do the finishing himself. thanks for looking, tom

Scott G

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
Any idea where I can find a g-code or nc file on a coastal, tropical, or beach scene?  I'm not advanced enough to vectorizing or whatever to enter a .jpg and carve it out.  I hardly have the time to learn much about the cnc itself.  I work 16-18 hrs. per day.

Tom S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »
if you go to Vector art web site you can find what you need. you will have to regester but then you can down load free of charge the machinist version and they give you four free models to basicly practice with. very easy to understand and make to any size you need. you will need to read a lot to just get the idea of their product and then when you feel comfortable with it, go and buy some of their stuff. you will need to get it in the V3M format. they have their own ( what ever you call it ) to keep the hackers at bay. i use it to get a lot of my carvings done quick. i do have bobcad V-25 that i do my own things. but take a look at theirs to get some really cool stuff. plus when you buy you keep it forever and if you need additional software they have many others to download and try before you buy. you just cant save it till you purchase.  later, tom

Scott G

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:42 PM »
Thanks...I'll check it out.

Scott G

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »
got it...now I've got to figure out how to implement it into my bobcad or cncusb...wow, now there's a question...which one do I put this file in?

Tom S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
none. its a stand alone program and the files have a .v3m or crv which is why you cant merge into bc or any other except vectric products. cant even change the extention. many have tried. lol

Burl

• Administrator
  • Woodworking - patience = firewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 05:31:26 AM »
Scott
You will produce the g-code from the Machinist version and "import g-code" in the USBCNC program.

Burl

Scott G

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 07:30:56 AM »
Thanks Tom, Burl, I'm getting excited about all of this...just need understand things a little better.

Scott G

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »
Sorry to keep bothering you kind folks, but I have downloaded the V3M program and purchased a 3-D image.  I ran it through its program and saved it into file.  I opened the  USBCNC and it won't bring it up..just a failed sign pops up.  I'm a little bit frustrated here...can anyone help me bring up the file? 
The reason I used the V3M is because the bobcad image wouldn't open into the USBCNC no matter what I did.

Tom S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
that wont open it. how did you save? did you open it in mach3? did you do the roughcut and finish cut preview? if you saved into your documents, open with note pad and you'll see the g-code. let me know. we might have to do a phone call and walk thru to get you through it and get a better understanding.  tom