DWC Owners Forum

Author Topic: Touch off tool  (Read 624 times)

Chris G

• View Profile
Touch off tool
« on: September 25, 2016, 08:21:25 AM »
I can't seem to get the touch off tool to work properly. If I clamp the alligator clip to a bolt on the stand it works when I touch the stand and the table but not the router bit itself. If I clamp the alligator clip to the router it finds the bit when touched, but it does not find the table or stand. :o Do I have a connection problem between the router and the stand?

I also updated to to the latest firmware to make sure it wasn't that, this did not fix the problem. I have restarted the machine and the laptop same problem.

Rick

• View Profile
    • Pioneer Valley Wood Art
Re: Touch off tool
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 04:13:57 AM »
Hi Chris, I too had some problems with the touch off tool and now I just skip it. I find I can more precisely zero the Z axis where I want it by just putting the point of the tool bit on the surface (and some times, with a delicate font, I will cheat and set the point  .02 into the wood and call that zero.) Once you placed the point exactly where you want it, use the Offset Zero button and carve away.
I just have to tell a quick story here. I had both Laney and Burl on a conference call and on Team Viewer as my machine was drilling right down through the surface the entire board and even getting a piece of the table. All of us were scratching our collective heads when Laney noticed a very small message in the lower left corner of the CNC USB Controller. I forget the wording of the message but it obviously resonated with Laney and he asked "Where is your touch off tool right now?" I told him that it was held to the table leg by a magnet. That was my problem. The touch off tool needs to be away from the "metal stuff" while the machine is running. I use it now and again but I really prefer setting the z depth manually. And, my hat's off to Laney for solving the mystery but I resolve to find other, creative ways to screw up!
tRicky!