DWC Owners Forum

Author Topic: How do you dial in your feed speed for various bits?  (Read 780 times)

kp91

• View Profile
How do you dial in your feed speed for various bits?
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
I will admit to being very cautions with feed speeds, amount of cut, etc.  I don't want to break any bits, or break the machine.  It wasn't too bad when I was doing only V-carve projects, but now that I am doing more 2.5 D projects I need to cut faster.

I am trying to balance being nice with the machine with tool paths not taking 3 hours to complete, however.  I was hoping someone could share their experience or rules of thumb on how they decide what feeds to use for their bits.

I know this will vary based on cutting pine or hard maple, but do you have a standard starting point for 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch end mills, for example?  Any horror stories from cutting too aggressively?  How do you know when you are overloading the machine?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:19:04 PM by kp91 »
Doug

Eric S

• View Profile
    • Two Stroke Artistry
Re: How do you dial in your feed speed for various bits?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
Trial and error. I found a V-bit  cutting widths chart. and a few things on feeds and speeds. But the best that worked for me was drawing a series of lines with .5" radius. compute tool paths at varying speeds and run it on spare materials.