DWC Owners Forum

Author Topic: Problem with machine  (Read 2613 times)

Larry Leser

• View Profile
Problem with machine
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »
Hello everyone,
I was out running a project this afternoon and ran into a problem.

As I was in the middle of a run (about 15 minutes into the run), the z-axis went berzerk.  For some reason, the zero reset itself about .25 BELOW where it was originally set.  This obviously then caused the machine to bury itself into the material ruining the job.

This has happened to me once or twice before, but is not consistent and I cannot replicate at will.

I verified the g-code is fine with the appropriate  settings for depth...this was simply an issue with the Mach program and/or electronics somewhere.

Has anyone had this happen to them?  Where should I begin troubleshooting.

swschaf

• View Profile
Re: Problem with machine
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:43:54 AM »
I thought  the Z axia went down on me. But in my case the bit screwd down. I was using the 1/8" bit with the reducer sleeve. That setup needs to be really tight.

Burl

• Administrator
  • Woodworking - patience = firewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 05:49:07 AM »
Larry
First make sure the Z axis is not binding. With the control box off, turn it by hand. Also put a light lube on the threaded rod.

Second make sure all the cables are tight. Also as the Z is moving, jiggle the wires to see if you can cause the issue.

Is it only happening in Rapid Movement? If so than you can slow the Rapid Down. This is done in Mach3.

Your computer could be doing it. This is hard to test for.

Burl

Larry Leser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 08:08:50 PM »
I have started using Mach - Slow for most things thinking the faster settings were too fast and causing some bouncing ... not sure

I wil do some further troubleshooting tomorrow or friday.

Thanks for giving me some place to start.

Larry Leser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »
Checked the axis motors and they don't seem to be binding.
I did put a little oil on the z screw drive.

I started a run Saturday and was an hour into it without problem.  The out of nowhere, the Z-axis changed.  It's as if it reset and therefore the router didn't raise enough and when it started moving x and y, routed across the project.   Ugh ...

I shut it all down and restarted...it would start ok, but a few minutes into the run would do it again.

I check the g-code and all "looks" ok with the code (no erroneous Z- settings), so I think it is with the mach software or somewhere on the machine.

What else can I check?

Burl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:18:27 PM »
Larry
Is the Z  Motor getting very hot? See if it is much hotter than X and Y.

The Computer could also be causing the glitches. Make sure the cable is tight. Also make sure no other software is running.

I'm going to check on the Mach3 forum to see if any has seen this.

Burl

Burl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
After doing some checking.

First make sure the screen saver is turned off.

Second slow down your Kernel Speed. Go to Config then click Ports & Pins. Move the Kernel Speed down a couple. Don't forget to click apply.

Burl

Marquis

• View Profile
    • MG-Wood
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
Burl,

Not to interject the on the wrong problem, but would reducing the Kernal Speed be something that may help my Z-axis problems. I.E. it getting hot. It has continued to work well, but runs at around 175 degrees vs 115 for the Y and 70 for X.

Should I start a new thread on that, or do I have a very unique problem?

Thanks.

Burl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 05:05:24 AM »
I don't think it will but it is very easy to change and try.
Burl

Larry Leser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »
Things finally calmed down a little around here and I was able to get back out to the garage.

I started this morning by disconnecting all the cables, plugging them back in and ensuring they are all connected tightly.

I loaded Mach 3 (medium), and loaded g-code.
Set X,Y, and Z zero's, checked to ensure X and Y were completely on project material.
Let 'er rip...

The project is a 3d carving with very close lines but only about and 1/8" deep.
The project ran for about 10 minutes and it happened again...Z-axis zero reset to about -.2 of the original.
Mach 3 kept running and showing that it was only going .123 deep however, I was just about to cut through my 1/2" material.
Needless to say, that material is shot.

After some choice words, I shut everything down...machine, mach 3, etc.  Then restart Mach 3, reloaded the g-code, reset X,Y, and Z zero's. Told it to Start, this time it routes for about 30 second before plunging.  Z was reset this time to about -.4 of the original Z zero point.

Checked the motor temp (not scientifically...with my hand), they seem to be about the same temp.

I will check kernel settings and ensure nothing else is running and try again in a little bit.

Larry Leser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
Well, I think I got it !!!  :D

I checked the PC and the only other thing running was anti-virus software.  I shut it down.
I also checked the kernel value.  Was set to 100000, so I reduced that.

That seems to have worked so far.
Ran my job which took about an hour without issue.
I will upload a copy pictures ...

dale jr b

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »
Larry ive had a simular situation after trial and error found it was my computer that was slowwing dow the mach 3 program down. Ive found if i have raised my ram memory in PC and only run mach 3 the problem went away.

Larry Leser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 07:33:10 PM »
thank you, thank you, thank you....
for the help

As I previously posted, changing the kernel value and ensuring nothing else was running has indeed resolved the issue.
I have been running flawlessly for several days and several multi-hour runs.